Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our congressional district.
The Artistic Discovery Contest is open to all high school students in the District. The over-all winner of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will also include artwork from other contest winners nation-wide. The other winners’ artwork will be displayed in Congressman Allen’s Washington D.C. and Augusta offices.
Artwork must be original in concept, may not violate any U.S. copyright laws, and be two dimensional and no larger than 26 inches wide by 26 inches tall. Artwork should be inspired by imagery representing the 12th District of Georgia.
- Paintings - including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings - including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers
- Collage - rearrangement of preexisting elements, such as cut-up paper of all types (newspaper clippings, gift wrap, stamps, etc.) and other small
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media - combination or mix of medias: acrylics, oils, crayons,
- Photography - color and black and white
People’s Choice Award voting will be open from April 27- May 3 on Congressman Allen’s Facebook page, “Representative Rick Allen.” Art instructors and students may share the link, but only the “likes” on this Facebook post will be counted. The 1st-3rd place category winners and the People’s Choice Award winner will be announced during a special reception hosted by Congressman Allen at the Westobou Gallery (1129 Broad St. Augusta, GA 30901).
SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE NO LATER THAN APRIL 26, 2021. Please drop off artwork at one of the following locations:
- Augusta Office: 2743 Perimeter Parkway, Bldg 200, Suite 105, Augusta, GA 30909 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm)
- Dublin Office: 100 S. Church St., Dublin, GA 31021 (Monday, April 19th & 26th, 8:30am-12pm)
- Vidalia Office: 107 Old Airport Rd. Suite A, Vidalia, GA 30475 (Tuesday, April 20th and Wednesday 21st, 9am-5pm)
- Statesboro Office: 50 East Main St., Statesboro, Georgia 30458 (Mon-Fri, 9am-2pm)
Artwork must adhere to the policy of the House Office Building Commission. In accordance with this policy, exhibits depicting subjects of contemporary political controversy or a sensationalistic or gruesome nature are not allowed. It is necessary that all artwork be reviewed by the panel chaired by the Architect of the Capitol and any portion not in consonance with the Commission’s policy will be omitted from the exhibit. If an entrant is unsure about whether a piece of artwork is acceptable, he or she should contact the staff of his or her Member of Congress; the congressional staff can speak with personnel who can determine whether the artwork would be accepted. For a full list of rules and guidelines, click HERE.
If you would like more information on the annual Congressional District Art Competition - including this year's deadlines - please submit the following form.